Last night I was a bit late locking up the chicken run and went out in the dark. As I got closer I could hear rustling and crunching in the pen, and was worried that a fox may have crept in and hidden under their house, waiting for a nice breakfast when my ladies and gents flew down in the morning. (for those new to my blog, my chickens like to roost in a tree, shown in previous pics)
Out of a pile of leaves in the corner of the run suddenly appeared the most enormous hedgehog, who I imagine had been feasting on the numerous slugs that seem to appear at night - Where do they go during the day, is there a secret slug commune somewhere that I don't know about?! Relieved I locked the gate and was walking back to the house, when I saw two smaller hedgehogs scuttling across the garden in the direction of the run - obviously worried that Mother hedgy would give them a flea in their ear for being late.
I don't know about you but seeing hedgehogs really makes me feel like Autumn is on it's way.



6 comments:
You're very lucky to have their presence in your garden! I hand reared a baby hedgehog a couple of summers ago, he/she was a real delight.
D x
Hedgehogs are just gorgeous wee critters aren't they. Do they eat your chicken's eggs? Over here they eat our native birds eggs (since a number of NZ natives are ground dwellers their nests are easily accessible). Glad it wasn't a fox though.
We have a hedgy that comes through our garden. We soemtimes see him at the dog bowl in the back garden!
How I envy your country life. I live in a small condo on a river and have an extremely small yard. I do grow some perenials and have a little courtyard but that is it. We do see squirrels and rabbits hanging out and every so often a fox will meander through the common area. If you don't mind, I will visit your blog often and dream of a different life.
How gorgeous. we had a mating pair under our bedroom window last year - very noisy!!! xx
Hi Gina
I'm glad you find things to inspire you in my blog.
K
Post a Comment